Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute also known as BMCRI was established in the year 1955 by Mysore Education Society which was founded by Dr. R. Shivaram, Dr. Mekhri, Dr. B.K. Narayana Rao and Dr. B.V. Ramaswamy. The institute is a private medical college and is currently affiliated to Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences (RGUHS). Earlier the institute was affiliated to Bangalore University. BMCRI is recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI).
BMCRI offers various Under Graduate and Post Graduate courses in the field of Medical Science and Nursing. The college also provides numerous Diploma courses under Paramedical Department.
The institute also offers fellowship programmes in Vitreo Retina, Surgical Gastroenterology, Cornea, Cosmetic Dermatology, Glaucoma, Pediatric Dermatology, Accident Trauma & Emergency Care, and Community Ophthalmology. The institute offers B. Sc. Programmes In Medical Lab Technician and Operation Theatre Technician.
BMCRI Campus is spread over an area of 200 acres, comprising of Academic Block, Hospitals, Library, Hostels, Student Lounge, Food Court, Gymnasium and Sports Facilities. The college also provides separate hostels for its students. BMCRI is the first college in the country which is equipped with Tele-Medical Unit. Tele-Medical Unit was initiated with collaboration with ISRO.
BMCRI conducts an annual fest in the month of October called Cobalt Skies. It's a three-day long festival and is attended by medical students and professionals from across the country. College also organizes other annual festivals called Samara, and Chrysalis. BMCRI has various literary and educational clubs like chess society, quiz society, debate society, music society and many more.